Wednesday, July 1, 2009

In Your Eyes

My sister and I are singing at my great-aunts church next sunday. It's going to be my first time playing guitar and singing at the same time, which makes me so nervous. We're singing a song called In Your Eyes by Jim Booth, a man who went to our church and passed away a few years ago. As I sat in my cabin at camp slaving over this song, nearly driving myself to tears, I realised I was going about this the completely wrong way.

The song talks about asking God to give you certain things so that you might be accepted in His eyes. I was practicing so hard and getting myself so frustrated in trying to make the song perfect so that people wouldn't think that I sucked or anything. I was praying that God would touch my hands so that I could impress the congregation and impress my family and everyone else. Then the words hit me. I saw that I shouldn't be asking God to help me impress everyone else, but I should be asking Him to give me the ability so that I can turn it back and give the glory to him. That's what I want to do. Give the Glory to Him.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (that verse got me a free parasailing ride :)

So if it sounds like crap, I really don't care. My heart is in the right place now, and no matter what it sounds like, I know that it will sound flawless and be a beautiful sound to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment